Type R – Too good to be true?

• February 5, 2018 at 2:19 am #42559

Hi All,

I’m not yet a WRX owner (yet) but I’m looking at GC8’s. I’ve had an offer of a JDM MY99 type R. It looks ridiculously cheap ($10K) and from photos looks the goods – 140k kms, correct gauges, stickers, body kit, engine bay has all STi gear, VIN and compliance plates correct, paint correct. Interior had been gutted and fitted with roll cage and Sparco seats with 4 point harness. Not sure if it has been raced/rallied or not. The dodgy aspect is it used to be in South Australia but has been shipped (with owner) to Europe. Now the owner is offering to ship it back at his cost and give me 2 day ‘cooling off’period. I find this a bit too good to be true for a car he is willing to sell for $10k. It will cost him at least $2k to ship it so in effect he’s taking $8k for a 2 door type R. And what does he do if I dont buy it? Ship it back again?
    Do I take the chance its legit or walk away? I’d be looking at taking it back to original interior. Any probs with rego in SA if I do this? Is there any site I can use to check the history of this car?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Robert

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.